Individual Health/Medical Insurance
Insurance for Yacht Crew
Take a moment to thing about this: If you have a goose that lays golden eggs, do you insure the eggs or do you insure the goose?
Most people insure their possessions. Few people insure themselves. That’s the wrong way round.
One thing we know about crewing onboard yachts is that it is physically demanding. Huge fun, yes. But the strain and long hours mean that illness or accidental injury are more common than in other industries.
You might think it won’t happen to you, but the truth is many yacht crew need medical assistance every year. Medical bills can be high, so it’s important to make sure you’re covered by a comprehensive plan. Your boat may offer some level of insurance, but in our experience, it usually isn’t broad enough to cover all aspects of your life. You might be fine if something happens onboard. But what about if something were to happen on a night out? On a ski slope? At the end of the season when you’re not attached to a boat?
If you have your own insurance, you’re covered. Literally.
We helped BUPA to create a scheme especially for yacht crew. It’s worldwide. It includes extreme sports. It’s got you everything yacht crew need. Think of it as the Mercedes of health insurance. It’s not cheap, but it works for yacht crew, unlike off-the-peg solutions.
BUPA Maritime Benefits
- Covers you all over the world—except the USA, unless especially requested
- You will be covered regardless of whether you are working or not, including when you are on holiday
- If you leave your current boat, you are still insured by the policy
- All sports are included in the cover, including extreme sports
- Crew can be treated at a hospital or clinic of their choice
- You’ll have access to over 5,500 participating hospitals and clinics worldwide
- BUPA International will pay all bills directly to the hospital or clinic—there is no need for you to use your own money then claim it back
- BUPA International’s multilingual, efficient claims team is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- BUPA International policies can be started or stopped at any time without penalty and any outstanding subscription will be refunded to you